Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Random Notes


WASHINGTON: More than half of the 47 Arizona hospitals ranked in a recent survey of patient safety got a grade of C, the lowest grade offered in the first year of the national report.
               (JERILYN FORSYTHE Cronkite News, June 8, 2012.)

    As a psychiatrist, I had been taught to manage serious mental illnesses with a set of assumptions that if articulated would sound something like this: “People with chronic mental illness are permanently disabled. Medicate them and forget them. They are weak and need to be taken care of. They can’t hold down jobs. They have no significant role to play in society. The possibility of them having a meaningful life is slight. Their prognosis is essentially hopeless.” 
          (Mark Ragins, MD, The Road to Recovery [from "Village Writings"1999])
    "I spent four weeks doing a rotation at the The Arizona State Hospital when I was getting my master's degree in nursing. The things I saw there made an impression on me that I will never forget, and I am really happy to know that someone like you has taken on the task of addressing these things. All people are human, and as a nurse, I have never been so shocked as I was during those four weeks by the way some people mistreat mentally ill persons- as though they are not human." 
            (C.K., MSN [nurse practitioner], The Guidance Center, Flagstaff, AZ, April 2012) 


paoloreed@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.