Sunday, June 10, 2012

Prose: Of Idaho joking dogs and sustenance, my girls.

                                                                        (artist: ilprosa, milano tx)



tonight is a night of hedonism
cookies and beer wolves and space music
reels and reels of old time film 
sirens and the flashing red freneticism
all subject to the authority 
of a neon sign topped high rise bank: "regions"
river down there floating greed and love
i am floating something too i am alive

garrison keillor was in town today
the streets of upside downtown shreveport
texas avenue where it meets its angle
usually dormant of autos needing a parking space
was filled bumper to bumper (think houston texas 1984)
"the cars like dogs in heat nose to ass"
and elvis's original guitarist was a guest
the man the louisiana hayride the love of the matter
contained in those tales embedded 
in one little big man's life 

i came to the south for respite
from the brutally cruel desert heat of Arizona
where doctors hold burning cigarettes 
to the lips of their dying cancer patients
and behavioral health technicians abuse their clients
in the way I used to fish casting again and again
until I hooked the poor things by the lip
with sharply barbed viscousness
the medical pros at the arizona state hospital and the hooks
are really the same thing

in these eyes of mine anymore
for i have seen it and i know
oh god the things i know today
crawling like craig's volkswagon 1978
set itself to those dry and dusty hills
proving our emerging manhood 
we smoked the dope
and drove that car 
into the arroyos with impunity
oh god the things i miss 
but in those things
i know what i know i am who i am

i am total if not old enough now
nothing if not still young in my own way
grassy ball field those girls that went there with me
mi compadres so sexy and young 
but all we needed was to talk
we shared something then 
that most people don't learn 
until twilight about knowing 
another person and valuing their heart

i rode a motorcycle to alaska at an age of 17
i moved to louisiana at a different and more specific age of 50
somewhere between those moments in time
i met everything i will ever remember
the way i see it all tonight is this all there is 
then and now is this the way back to santa fe after all

last night my girl admitted to herself
an insane asylum in order to get back
together with us, that is how i saw it
until it became clear she was there 
due to the damage of knowing
and trusting me, but then she did
she willed herself to know me again
and finally we went entirely mad, 
together.

i am like that, i am that sort of man
until i am done, i am done
with those sorts of things
after all else there is tonight then
tonight the night of hedonism
cookies and beer, space music
the nine mile wolves, a virtue my desert
of eden, my reflection and its face of life
with the good natured wrinkles, formations
of a second neck.

                                                   pj reed june 2012


credits:
-rick bass, "the ninemile wolves", ballantine books, nyny 1992
-dean upson, henry clay and kwkh radio, "louisiana hay ride,
  shreveport, la 1948 










No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.