Saturday, September 8, 2012

Will Humble: A Recap Relating The Director of Arizona's Department Of Health Services Unwillingness To Openly Respond To Good Faith Client Based Inquiries And Expressions Of Concern. 

"It reminds me of Stalinism."

Readers, 
     I invite you to submit comments to Arizona Department of Heath Services Director Will Humble's official blog site, which can be found at http:// directorsblog.health.azadhs.gov, in relation to the following:  In good faith, I submitted no less than three (3) direct inquiries to ADHS Director Will Humble's official website blog concerning the following three articles that he posted on that blog, but he and his staff have refused to respond to my concerns in kind. They have, in fact, refused to even divulge my comments and share them with the greater public. In my humble opinion, this is a blatant exhibition of undue censorship that clearly illustrates abuse of administrative responsibility and falls nothing short of criminal concealment in terms of the public's constitutional right to full disclosure about the utilization and management of a critical public resource.  


Health Disparities
July 27th, 2012 by Will HumbleNo comments »
Lots of risk factors contribute to health disparities…  and many of the risk factors are called “social determinants of health.” A couple of months ago we (with our community partners), launched the Social Determinants of Health educational series to boost professional development and program planning so Arizona’s public health team can better address health equity and improve health status for vulnerable populations in Arizona.
     With this one, I asked Mr. Humble to respond to my concern about the fact that Caucasians and other non-African American persons are provided treatment at The Arizona State Hospital at 10-12 times the rate that African Americans are. It has been at least six weeks since I submitted my comments on this matter, which illustrates the fact that the No comments indicated above is patently untrue. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 5th, 2012 by Will HumbleNo comments »
We’ve already posted the Deputy Director position and have had interviews underway for the Assistant Director position.  I think we’ll move smoothly with filling both of these positions permanently in the near future.  In the interim, I’ve asked Cory Nelson, AZ State Hospital CEO to serve as the Acting Deputy Director- and he’s agreed to help out.  Cory will spend the next three weeks working closely with Dr. Nelson and the rest of the team and should have no problem getting up to speed- as he’s a quick study.  This plan will offer a great opportunity to further strengthen our important link between the Hospital and the community-based behavioral health system.  It’ll also bring in additional people-power to DBHS during this incredibly busy time.  Cory has a great team at the Hospital as well and they’re up to the task of picking up some of Cory’s day-to-day work there.  Donna Noriega will be leading the team at the hospital as Acting CEO and will be working closely with the rest of the leadership team to make sure the great things happening there keep moving forward.

     In reaction to this one, I inquired about whether the fact that Cory Nelson's involvement in the cover up and misrepresentation of the facts surrounding the Jesus Murietta escape and the subsequent brutal murder of April Mott had been considered before granting him this excess of responsibility described in the above article excerpt. I also asked Mr. Humble if the fact that Donna Noriega's recent violations of her licensure had been considered, in combination with her central role in the Jesus Murietta-April Mott scandal, before granting her the excess of responsibility described in the above article excerpt. It has been at least one month since I submitted my comments on this matter, which illustrates the fact that the No comments indicated above is patently untrue. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evidence Based Practice x (Training + Teamwork) = Results

August 17th, 2012 by Will HumbleNo comments »


Good news…  since implementing our Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training we’ve dropped the % of incidents at the Hospital that end up in restraint or seclusion by over 40%.  Equally encouraging is the fact that staff injury has been reduced by nearly the same amount.  Our team at the hospital is doing a great job of using a recovery-based and trauma-informed approach in applying the de-escalation principles that are the key to these results.  You can read more about Non-Violent Crisis Intervention on the Crisis Prevention Institute website.

     In submitting comments to this article, I shared with Mr. Humble the fact that several ASH staff members had posted very clear concerns in absolute contradiction to the information provided in this article, as illustrated in submittals by staff to Cory Nelson's personal website (see: www.crazycorycorner.weebly.com:  2 FRIGTNED 2 SAY 08/18/12                    ASH CLAIMING ON THE NEWS (CHANNEL 3) THAT ASSAULTS HAVE GONE DOWN. LIARS!! WORSE THAN EVER!), and requested a response that might provide me, as a former ASH patient (human being), and current client of the Arizona Department of Health Services (consumer),  and as a citizen of the state of Arizona (tax payer), with some idea of why staff were in agreement with me in terms of knowing, in fact, that the conditions at ASH are anything but stable and in good running condition. It has been 3 full weeks since I submitted my comments on this matter, which illustrates the fact that the No comments indicated above is patently untrue. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN CLOSING: Anytime there are problems of this nature at The Arizona State Hospital, which is the only long term public mental health care facility in the state, we can all rest assured that the worst consequences fall directly onto the heads of the patients. That said, even the possibility that such issues exist at ASH demands nothing short of immediate and substantive response and oversight. This is Will Humble's responsibility at this point, because I have made clear to him that nobody in his vast empire of administrative employees and agencies has met their responsibility in this context. The patients at ASH are highly vulnerable and at an extremely high risk of abuse, this is a cardinal reality in public hospital settings of any kind, and it does not take a rocket scientist to recognize the fact that Humble's refusal to respond to my inquiries represents yet another example of maladroit administrative malfunction that extends throughout the entirety of the ADHS Behavioral Health Services network. It does, however, take individuals and a related society of ethically sound minded and compassionately concerned character to meaningfully stand up in support of the patients at ASH. That is all I am striving to establish through my work and this blog, and as a matter of making clear my thoughts about what may be most critically needed in this situation, I'm willing to suggest that it has to start with the people who work at ASH, or somewhere within the realm of the Arizona Department of Health Services. One or more of these people need to put their fears or selfishness aside and step forward on behalf of bringing the truth of these issues to light. 
     In my own case, I am dedicating myself to this cause purely on behalf of the patients at ASH, because I am directly connected to them, and because they are human beings, and because they are deserving of the same respect and overall benefits offered to anyone of American citizenship. I have no intent based on personal gain beyond simple peace of mind; and while I am certain that the nincompoops in the administrative offices at ASH suspect that I am out to create havoc, I need only remind myself, and them, that I have made clear since the first time I filed a formal grievance about the abuse I suffered at ASH, that I seek nothing more than civil redress, as per the applicable protocol. The ball, as it were, has always been in their hands to simply do the right thing, but they have willfully and quite criminally done all they can to avoid the most fundamental intent of applicable codes of conduct and function, which to me is about as boneheaded a way to operate as one might imagine. 
     These people suck, and they need to go. Bottom line.        

     The problems described do exist at The Arizona State Hospital, these, and myriad others. It is not a case of basic imperfection, or a matter of understandable ineffectuality. It is substandard mental-medical health care through and through. I attest to this. I witnessed and was personally subjected to every form of patient abuse imaginable short of outright rape, torture, or execution, and it was imparted on me by staff at all levels of employ. Not all staff, for there are many good people at ASH, and they are the ones seeking redress in their own right, but indeed, every existent level of staff person, but for the housekeepers and the gardener. It really is that bad. Patient abuse is inhumane, and any willingness of state employed clinicians, administrators, or officials to turn a blind eye to these issues is criminal. Bottom line. Please do all that you can today to see that the abuse of patients at ASH comes to an end. 
     Today. 

paoloreed@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.