Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dear Will Humble: Wherein, I explore the capacity (or lack
thereof) of an ADHS on-line complaint form for the first time. This is use another way to complain, mind you, but rather a new means by which to document the willful ineptitude of the involved state officials who are supposed to be caring for Arizona's most at-risk wards.   

     I am almost punch drunk over learning about some tools that I was not
even aware of until today, offered by Will HumbleDirector of Arizona's 
Department of Health Services, and Cory "meathead" Nelson, who is 
the supervisor at The Arizona State Hospital; tools that will reportedly "make(s) 
it a lot easier to find hospital info- everything from patient and family info, 
to employment opportunities,fact sheets, visitation hours and how to submit 
complaints and suggestions for better operation. 
     Now, I will just say that I rather doubt the veracity of this sort of 
language anytime it flows from the minds and mouths of people like
Will HumbleCory  or Cory "crazycorycorner" Nelson. But I am always
game for new opportunities, so let's just see how well this on-line complaint 
resource works, which is described in the following passage, written by ADHS 
Director Will Humble last December 27, 2011:   

State Hospital Web Refresh

December 27th, 2011
The State Hospital has a new front door, at least on the internet. Cory Nelson and 
Jesse Lewis spearheaded the effort to update the hospital’s homepage.  Jesse
worked with Gannon Wegner to punch out the project.  The new landing page
makes it a lot easier to find hospital info- everything from patient and family info, 
to employment opportunities, fact sheets, visitation hours and how to submit 
complaints and suggestions for better operation.  It’s even easier to find this week 
since Jeff Burgess gave it top slot in the rotating photos on our homepage – maybe 
the first time the hospital’s been featured like that!  Thanks to all of you for your hard 
to work to make it happen.
          Posted in Behavioral Health Tags:    
    
   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     And there you have it. Quite a wonderful thing, eh'? People "punching out 
projects" and "spearheading" efforts to improve…. What? ASH's homepage???
What about the fact that ASH staff are trafficking in tobacco and other illicit 
substances which they sell to the patients at ASH at about $5-6.00 per 
cigarette (that's upwards of $1000.00 a carton, by the way)? Or, that due to 
the cold hearted discrimination of a Filipino trained psychiatrist, a physically 
disabled woman named Audrey Peterson and her one arm has been forced for
something like seven full years or more to rely upon the most out of date wheel
chair technology, despite the willingness of several organizations to provide her 
with something just a bit more humane? Huh, what about these things??? And 
not even to mention the fact that the administrative staff at ASH directly 
contributed to the brutal killing of a young Phoenix woman named April Mott,
who had nothing to do with ASH whatsoever, but for the ruthless consequences
of the "hospital's" criminal cover up of a patient escape? Who gives a damn 
about ASH's homepage!!!? How about doing something that matters, already!?
     Oh, okay… I am perhaps being a bit harsh with all this. Maybe, in fact,
Will Humble has received critical data about how shoddy the previous home 
page was. And maybe I should, in turn, as a former patient at ASH and current
citizen/consumer in the state of Arizona, take heart in the fact that this effort
has been carried out on behalf of the citizens of Arizona, mentally ill or not, and
regardless of whether or not they know anything at all about the substandard 
mental-medical health care and practices at The Arizona State Hospital. 
      And I am such a blunder head sometimes… Because I had no idea until 
now that this resource even existed. Admittedly, I was still hospitalized at ASH
when this material was added to Will Humble's official ADHS blog site 
(which you can find at http:// directorsblog.health.azadhs.gov), where
the patients, of course, have no access whatsoever, under any conditions, 
to the internet (which directly relates to my concerns about the shortcomings
about the patient advocate at ASH, Sonya Serda, and the basic fact that she 
alone has to respond to any of the standard format paper work that patients 
have to complete and submit whenever they are of the opinion that they have 
been abused or otherwise denied the services that that might expect).  
In addition to these things, I highly doubt that Humble and his dunderheaded 
bunch have gone around the proverbial mountain in terms of advertising 
this resource to the public. I sure never heard about it until I happened upon
it while scouting out new dirt on Cory "crazycorycorner" Nelson, which I 
can only liken to sniffing through a pail of filthy diapers while hoping for a rose.  
     In any case, upon learning about this earlier today, I immediately put a 
little time into submitting my very first complaint via this resource, and
I have included my complaint in its entirety below: 


Arizona Department of Health Services

ARIZONA DEPT OF HEALTH SERVICES ONLINE COMPLAINT FORM
The Division of Licensing Services Office of Medical Licensing provides this Online 
complaint Form which allows anyone with knowledge or concerns about a suspected 
violation to submit a complaint through this web page.  A complaint is a suspected 
violation of Arizona state rules and/or statutes governing the operations of licensed 
 medical facilities or licensees.
                                 STEP 1
   -Complainant Information
First name: ---- (aka PJ) Last: ---- (aka Reed) 
Email: --- (aka pjreed@gmail.com) Daytime Phone: -------------------
Address: ------------------
   -Complainant Source
I am a(n): patient/resident
                              STEP 2
   -Facility Information
Facility Name: The Arizona State Hospital
Address: 2500 E. Van Buren, Phoenix, AZ
                                   STEP 3
     -Complainant Information 
Briefly describe the complaint: In direct violation of my rights specific 
to the Hospital Information Protection and Portability Act (HIPPA), 
administrators at The Arizona State Hospital (ASH) refused to comply 
with my requests for various personal medical records, requests that 
submitted in full accordance with applicable protocol at several 
points in time during my 13 months of treatment at ASH (Jan. 2011-
Feb. 2012). My requests for personal medical records specifically 
related to information concerning my care and treatment at ASH 
that does not fall under any of the statutorily restricted forms of 
such data, as per the provisions of HIPPA or any other like mandate. 
My complaint includes the central fact that ASH administrators 
refused to provide me with these personal medical records in order 
to cover up clearly illegal clinical misconduct. 
    -Is Evidence Available? If yes, describe the evidence. 
YES: Documents, including but not limited to, my formal requests for 
various personal medical records, which I submitted in full accordance 
with applicable protocol, as well as patent refusals by ASH 
administrators to grant me lawful access to these records. Witness 
testimony, including but not limited to, ASH staff, as well as at least 
one Arizona Department of Health Services representative. 
   -Has the Licensee/owner and/or manager
     of the facility been contacted? If yes, 
     please provide the name, date, and 
     the result. 
YESI filed multiple grievances specific to this matter with the ASH 
patient advocate at various times during my treatment at ASH
(Jan. 2011-Feb. 2012). In this context, YES, the administrators at 
ASH, as well as my primary attending clinicians at the time(including 
my assigned doctors and social workers) were all contacted by me 
(in person) about this matter while I was still hospitalized at ASH. 
The RESULTS varied, from the statement, "You are not going to be 
provided with your records and there is nothing you can do about it," 
to flat refusals by my primary attending clinicians to even so much 
as discuss this matter or the actions of ASH administrators with me 
at the time.
   -Has any other agency been contacted? If yes, 
     please give name, date, and result. 
YESThe United States Department of Health and Human Services 
Office for Civil Rights, September, 2011. At this time and to the best
of my knowledge, an investigation specific to this matter is being
conducted by this agency at this time, but I cannot provide any more 
information about it at this time. 
                               SUBMIT YOUR COMPLAINT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your complaint was submitted successfully! 
The Transaction number is: 
                          2012-MED230
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. My complaint was submitted successfully! 
But why, I might ask, do I not feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Is it me? 
Or is that the record as it stands today suffices in my realization that this is just 
one more line of ADHS' line of bullshit?  
    Whatever. As per my article today, it is now part of the public record. Has a
pretty nice ring to it, huh? Kind of like the language that Humble likes
to use when he goes about misrepresenting the truth, such as the phrases
in the above article, "spearheaded" and "punch(ed) out the project," along with 
his incessant referral to the the boneheads at ASH as "a team." Wordspeak, 
through and through. The bright side, however, is that this gives me a whole 
"new" means by which to document the substandard practices at The Arizona
State Hospital, and beyond in the administrative offices of ADHS. It is sad, in 
truth, that such a "resource" possibly only serves the clients in this way; as a
legitimately aggrieved member of Arizona's seriously mentally ill community, 
I know how important it is to acquire empowerment and self esteem via any
meaningfully grounded avenues of redress and relief. What the authorities in
ADHS Office of Grievances and Appeals don't seem to understand, and not to
mention individuals like Will Humble and  Cory "meathead" Nelson, is that 
the failure of any resources that we- the emotionally vulnerable and mentally  
ill- are taught to rely upon, to respond to us as compassionate and caring
entities in our sphere of existence, directly aggravates the most debilitating
aspects of our given conditions. 
     Indeed, I'd like to believe that persons such as myself, who do in fact 
have a thing or two to "suggest" to the administrators at ASH, but I would 
bet my last meal that this is nothing more substantive than any of the other 
lines of bullshit posed by Will Humble and his cadre of carpet baggers and 
charlatans at ASH. And beyond that, any half witted soul such as I knows that 
the meaningfulness of such tools, aka classic, good ol' complaint form, is only as 
sound as the enforcement of applicable rules and related investigations so 
happens to be. In this case, the responsibility of follow up to complaints falls 
on ADHS' Office of Grievances and Appeals (OGA), and in my experience, 
that office falls just short of utterly worthless when it comes to  legitimate 
follow up of well grounded reports of patient abuse and administrative 
misconduct, particularly when it comes to serving the interests of Arizona's 
most at risk adults. That said I highly doubt that the means by which complaints
are submitted within the ADHS framework are going to have any effect on 
improving the quality of overall services of ADHS in this context. As I have 
outlined at fairly great length, filing complaints with these rat bastards is like 
shooting rubber bands at a polluted sky; and if you should prevail in getting 
your concerns up through the wasps nest of ineptitude exhibited by the staff
at OGA, and find yourself, as such, relying on other directly related resources 
within the state's various public agencies (such as the AZ Office of Administrative 
Hearings), the process only shifts into something freakily akin to shooting 
said rubber bands in a broken down vacuum. 
     As described in my complaint above, the issue of the administration of 
The Arizona State Hospital's refusal to provide me access to my own personal
medical records has very serious implications. Any patient's right to participate
in his or her ow treatment and care relies very heavily upon the related right
to have full access to their own personal medical records. This simple fact is
something that I am willing to believe any reasonably intelligent person 
understands, for it is so basic to our fundamental sense of self determination
and self esteem that it fairly well shouts out its merit. How or why the rat 
bastards at ASH should happen to feel that they can get away with malfeasance 
of this nature, I dare not try to guess. But I attest to he fact that they do,
for i experienced it firsthand.    
     And it didn't even begin with the administrators at ASH, either. It began, in
fact, with the ineptitude of a Pakistani trained doctor named Pervaiz Akhter.  
      In sum, my first desire to review my own personal records arose in relation 
to nurse's "progress notes", and the clinically abusive conduct of an ASH 
doctor who refused to provide me access to such notes with absolutely no 
justification. Following a conflict filled in-patient treatment and discharge planning 
meeting in late April, 2011, during which time my primary attending physician 
at the time, Dr. Pervaiz Akhter, stated in very clear words that various 
progress notes taken by ASH nurses in relation to my general behavior 
described me as being "combative, condescending, argumentative, and 
dishonest," I submitted a formal records request for any such nurse's progress 
notes in precise accordance with applicable law and policy immediately after
Dr. Pervaiz Ahkter made this statement. I submitted my request because 
I was (and am still) of the firm opinion that any such descriptions of my 
behavior there at ASH were/are patently untrue, and that- presuming that 
any such nurse's progress notes even existed- they had been issued in bad faith
on the basis of resentment that certain ASH nurses had towards me because
I was willing to openly voice dissent and disagreement with patient abuse that
I witnessed or was personally subjected to. I submitted my request for these 
records, which are a central aspect of my most basic records as a patient, and 
Dr. Pervaiz Ahkter flatly refused to grant me my lawful right to access such 
notes on the basis that he didn't want me to "nitpick". 
     Even the term "nitpick" has relevance to the history of this specific event, but
I will not go into that right now. The fact is, Akhter clearly had something less
than good intentions when he refused my request in this specific matter. Also
in stating this to me as the basis of his refusal, and in doing nothing more to 
justify his refusal in this matter, this so-called medical professional, who is a
 senior ranking staff person at ASH holding the very lives of numerous ASH
patients in the his hands dirt stained hands even as I write, stooped so low below 
the required terms of his licensure and related obligations that I seriously doubt
he had/has any clear idea of how unlawful his actions in this matter were/are. 
   
IN CLOSING: I will excuse my language before I say this, and offer my sincere 
apology to anyoneoffended, but I just gotta' say it, because he has it coming: 
                            Dr. Pervaiz Akhter, you are a flaming asshole. 
I somewhat hate to expoit the hardship of there, but I have spent a good part of 
today paying attention to conflict in the middl east, as well as news about the 
tragedy of a mining disaster in Pakistan. My thoughts were drawn immediately
to my memory(s) Dr. Pervaiz Akhter, and the way I see it, he is a man
who fled his country, this despite having obvious privilege and relative leverage
by which to do good, an ex-patriot of his home nation, who now flaunts his 
disgustingly inhumane character in the virtual privacy of a place like The Arizona 
State Hospital, where the state's most vulnerable adults have next to means 
whatsoever in terms of standing up to this asshole whenever he pulls his shit.
Which he pulls all the freaking time, and somehow, gets away with. It sucks. 
This is the United States, and our nation is based upon foundations of patriotism
and loyalty to a finite body of principles and ideals. Pervaiz Akhter is an insult
to his profession and a wart upon the face of Arizona. He needs to be removed.
I watched this man demean the integrity of his patients as The Arizona State 
Hospital on a daily basis, and I witnessed such patients doing their best to stand
up against his brutally unjust treatment practices almost as frequently. But did 
any of it matter to this asshole at the time? No, it did not, including at those 
times when I civilly and reasonably informed him that he was engaging in
practices as my primary care physician there at ASH in blatant deface of well
established law and policy. No one person that I have yet encountered in the field
of psychiatric care has displayed anything so obviously psychopathic as this man's
conduct. He utilizes the privileges granted him through his authority as senior
ASH physician to grossly abuse the rights of his patients with an ice cold and 
unflinching stare.I attest to this, because I experienced it time and time again, 
and at this time,there is still one very serious charge facing this asshole in terms 
of the wrongdoing that I documented while hospitalized at ASH, and I am going 
to make sure it sticks.

     The ill intentioned willingness of Dr. Pervaiz Akhter and his superiors at 
Arizona State Hospital has everything to do with the fact that the clinicians
and administrators at ASH willfully engage in unlawful misconduct as a 
matter of standard practice at ASH, and they goddamn well know it. The 
sole reason for denying me access to my own personal medical records 
flows from these respective individuals express desire to keep all/any 
practical evidence of their misconduct tightly under wrap and seal. That is 
simply all there is to it. The conditions and practice at ASH are substandard, and 
because of these sorts of practices (stifling all records, etc.), they are 
getting away with it day in and day out, with the full endorsement of the
highest ranking officials in the Arizona Department of Health Services, 
including ADHS Director, Will Humble. You, my readers, know what to do.
Get on it, stay on it, and I will see you on the other side of the mud puddle 
once we get there. And we will get there, trust me. 

paoloreed@gmail.com   







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.