Wednesday, April 30, 2014



RERUN. Originally published in early 2013.

ONE MORE UPDATE RE: LAXMAN PATEL, M.D. This man was my first attending psychiatric doctor at The Arizona State Hospital, who has since been promoted to the very powerful position of Chief Medical Officer at the Arizona State Hospital. Business as usual… At ASH, at least. 

"YES, SOME INDIANS MOVE HERE TO DO WORK LIKE THAT. IN MY CASE, HOWEVER, I CAME HERE TO HELP PEOPLE." (Dr. Laxman Patel

Not long after I was initially hospitalized in Tucson, Arizona, for direct treatment specific to my diagnosis of major depressive disorder, the following obituary came up in local area newspapers, which I tend to read no matter where I am, in essence. The subject of this obit is a man who I just so happened to have come to know, over the summer of 2009, when I lived just around the corner of small grocery that he and his very friendly family operated. It is a strange world sometimes, but whenever I meet someone as good hearted as Mahesh "Mike" Patel, I take note. Needless to say, thus, my deep sadness in hearing about his tragic death most definitely affected my state of mind, at a time when I was just about 8 weeks into twenty one full months of extended (residential) treatment in the Arizona public behavioral health care system.



Mahesh "Mike" Patel 9/16/1955 - 7/5/2010 was tragically taken from us by a vicious and senseless act of violence on July, 5, 2010, though we know his soul has been freed into heaven. He was born on September 16, 1955 in Ahmedabad, India, where he grew up, married and raised his family. He worked at the Ahmedabad Electric City Co. for 15 years. He was an outgoing and respected member of his community. Proof of his devotion to family took the form of 15 immediate and extended family members living in one household under one roof. In 1998 he left India to join his brothers in Tucson to run Catalina Market. Mike's friendly and very personal style of doing business included greeting customers by name, assuring their unique needs were met, and caring enough to listen to their issues and stories. His infectious sense of humor and joyful laughter made it a pleasure to be in his store and turned loyal customers into friends. The generous and trusting character of Mike and the Patel family helped create a bond of community in the neighborhood-a rare achievement. For those who have known and loved him, we mourn the loss of a genuinely good and decent human being.


 See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tucson/obituary.

I used to go into Mike Patel's little store almost every day, to buy a newspaper, maybe some beer. It was an awkward period of time in my life, 2009, for I was immersed in the worst impacts of my escalating struggle(s) with chronic depression, including but not limited to acute suicidal ideation (and attempts). But anytime I ventured into the corner shop operated by Mike and his family, I was treated very, very well. I will never forget this, Angels at the Corners of Inner City Streets, those of us-  people- who have truth and virtue underlying our very existence.

Along those lines… I arrived at The Arizona State Hospital in early January, 2011, approximately 6 months after Mike Patel died. Upon admission to ASH, I was immediately assigned as one of Laxman Patel's patients. Within 48 hours of my admission to ASH, I had my first formal discussion with this man, at which time I informed him that a friend of mine, who happened to have the surname of "Patel", had been shot to death during a violent robbery, while attending to the operation of his little corner grocery store.

LAXMAN PATEL'S EXACT RESPONSE TO THIS INFORMATION IS AS FOLLOWS: "YES, SOME INDIANS MOVE HERE TO DO WORK LIKE THAT. IN MY CASE, HOWEVER, I CAME HERE TO HELP PEOPLE."

This conversation occurred during what is referred to as The Arizona State Hospital Psychiatric Admission Assessment). Which just happens to be when the current (2013) chief medical officer at ASH, (same guy- Dr. Laxman Patel), also graphically misreported what may be the most critically significant aspect of my deepest personal history, specific to highly damaging events that are known- as a matter of fact and as stated in the clearest aspects of my medical records at the time of this "assessment"- to be central to my struggles with mental illness and my associated treatment needs. As reported less than a week ago:

"The patient reports that his sister allowed him to fondle her when he was 6 year old."

"Came here to help people", indeed. It may not seem significant, this specific report about Laxman Patel's conduct. But I ask that you, oh reader, consider the fact that I found this man's comments about the death of my friend, Mahesh "Mike" Patel, utterly insulting, evident of very clear arrogance and self-centerdedness, and just about as disrespectful to the character of my friend as I might have imagined possible at the time. Despite this, I chose to trust Laxman Patel, against my better judgement, and largely because as a matter of my state of mind then, for I was still in the throes of depression and suicidal ideation, not yet capable- as it were- of comprehending (or caring about) how depraved the misconduct of ASH's highest ranking clinical staff is, in fact. 

This story, as recorded in my official ASH records, as well as in my own voluminous note-taking as this period of my life unfolded before me (while at ASH), brightly illustrates the most basic evidence in support of my allegation that at ASH, highly paid/authorized medical staff grossly distort the needs of each and every ASH patient as a matter of standard practice. "Standard" in the sense that this man, Laxman Patel, has become 100% accustomed to blatantly ignoring any established medical-mental health care practices, simply on the basis that they can get away with it. This is beyond simple ineptitude, is in fact, culpable negligence and outright willful abuse of authority. As per the letter of law.

These people- men like "Dr." Laxman Patel, "Dr." Perviaz Akhter, and women such as Dr. Ruby Ramos-Roxas, "Dr." Lynn Lydon, etc.- have effectively lost touch (presuming they ever had it) with the well established standards that apply to mental health care, including in terms specific to federally mandated human rights that arise on behalf of anybody affected by serious mental illness and related disability, as per The Americans With Disabilities Act, and other like edict. I attest to this, and all other aspects of this reports, for not only did I experience these issues, I also had full copies of applicable law and policy while it was occurring during my hospitalization at ASH. More specifically, outside advocacy representatives who took the time to visit me at ASH, did in fact bring me full copies of the Arizona Administrative Code (Title 9, Chapter Twenty One), the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Hospital Information Portability and Protection Act. Day after day, week into week, I would be subjected to grossly unlawful conduct, imparted on me by ASH staff at all levels of employ, and no matter the fact that I would always cite such law and policy, such staff would- as a matter of standard practice, look me in the eye, and say in no uncertain terms:

"THIS IS HOW IT IS. AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT." 

In tandem with these denials of my fundamental rights, there was always a presence of barely veiled threats, as in to say under their breath, "And if you continue to challenge us, we will show you what happens to patients like you…" Indeed, as time passed, I was graphically and undeniably subject to clear retaliation, including administrative actions by persons such as former ASH Chief Medical Officer "Dr." Stephen Dingle (who preceded Laxman Patel in that same position [!] and has since been promoted within AZ's larger behavioral health framework) , and former ASH Supervisor, Cory Nelson (who has also since been promoted within the state behavioral health system) For more information, please see this blog: "Of The Impact. The Hearings Continue" (12/27/12).   

IN CLOSING: All such staff misconduct, as illustrated in the bulk of my reporting to date, are a matter of standard practice at The Arizona State Hospital. Graphically substandard medical-mental health care that defies applicable law and policy, and they are getting away with it. In terms of the misconduct of some of the lowest ranking staff technicians (Saeed, Elaine, Rick Tong, etc.)  to the absolute majority of highest ranking clinical and administrative staff at ASH, I saw this shit arise, and I knew it for what it was. Immediately, in fact- as soon as I arrived at ASH, and personal property- my own prescribed medication that arrived with me at ASH- went missing, the shit began to fly. Within hours of this arrival and the theft of highly valuable prescribed street drugs from my property (an unopened bottle of 100 10 mg Ambien, IN FACT), I met fr the first time with "Dr. Laxman Patel, at which point the details of this specific report came to be part of my recorded experiences at ASH. 

It is that bad.

paoloreed@gmail.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.