Monday, December 9, 2013

Even In My Youth: At play, work, or simply in terms of how I live life to the fullest as a person in general, I know that the one's running The Arizona State Hospital are virtually short of character, in all senses. It is not that someone like me is all that special, either- it is, rather- all about the fact that such people come from the gutter, in effect. 

"You do not want to get me started on the Arizona State Hospital in Phoenix..."

1988


2012



2013




IN CLOSING: In a first year (2001) course that I was required to attend as a  student at the University of AZ-James A. Rogers College of Law, entitled "Torts I" (taught by Prof. Ellen Bublick), the curriculum of which included material specific to medical malpractice and related strict liability, a guest lecturer (who is a practicing plaintiff's attorney in Tucson, AZ) mentioned the Arizona State Hospital as follows: "You do not want to get me started on the Arizona State Hospital in Phoenix..." At the time, I had never heard of ASH and had no idea that it is a public mental hospital, but it did strike my curiosity, for my prior background in health care ethics is something that I highly value- especially today; and despite this early mention of what I now believe- via extensive personal experience that I would never have asked to go through- to be Arizona's dirtiest secret,  it was not until 10-11 years after that course before I recalled this speaker's statement to the effect; the effect, that is, that ASH is a rat's nest of illegal misconduct that any reasonably competent professional- be it a doctor, or an MBA level administrator, or lawyer for that matter- would never be willing to condone, much less participate in. And yet there in the bowels of Arizona's public health care system, a third world form of medical malpractice exists with little to no challenge whatsoever, in large part due to the willingness of senior clinicians and trusted administrators (via state employment contract) to do whatever they can/have to in order to cloak the grossly unlawful realities in the state's sole long term public mental hospital under a veil of unlawful secrecy. They do this, all of them, from senior ASH staff to officials in the state's department of health services, as a matter of preserving a status quo that defies the construct of the public trust, with no sincere concern for the well being of ASH's seriously mentally ill and disabled patient's, or the welfare of the general public. I attest to this from the bottom of my heart, for I witnessed it first hand. Bottom line. It is that bad. 

paoloreed@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.