Thursday, February 25, 2016

ONE MORE UPDATE III, RE: LAXMAN PATEL, M.D. This man was my first attending psychiatric doctor at The Arizona State Hospital.
Pervaiz Akhter
ASH psychiatrist 1999-2014
Current CEO Transitions Center, PLLC
Tempe, AZ 
NOTE: Word of advice. Should any of the current officials at ASH and/or ADHS-BHS actually choose to discuss my claims in this piece, or any other like published article included to date in this blog, please don't think for an instant that the denials of persons most centrally identified in my work are truthful. As though that shouldn't be obvious. I have never had any motives outside of sharing factually based data that I documented while hospitalized at ASH, and beyond as may apply, this on behalf of the ASH patient community as a whole, and out of nothing less then ethically based sense of duty on my part, as a citizen of the nation. I have no reason whatsoever to make stuff up in this context, which I would hope by now you all have realized, now that persons such as Donna Noriega and Cory Nelson (and on that list goes) have been exposed for just who they are, miscreants 100% consistent with my claims specific to unjust behavior as they stand. 

Again, please just do the right thing. That's all we are asking.  

As I have reported in no less then three previous articles, Dr. Laxman Patel, a longtime employee of the Arizona Department of Health Services, who has worked as both a Chief Medical Officer as well as a primary attending psychiatrist at The Arizona State Hospital (where he still works today), habitually misstated or otherwise challenged my character when I was his patient at ASH, circa my first ten weeks at there. His behavioral characteristics in this context (as displayed by communicative behavior) is fully representative of the now proven substandard care practices and conditions at ASH; and I am very concerned about the fact that he, and each and every other psychiatrist at ASH, have yet to be held accountable for their role(s) in furthering the issues most at stake. As in, the grossly abusive treatment imparted on ASH patients by a virtual majority (and as always, no offense to the Good People working at ASH- I know you are there, and my work has always been in part on your behalf, too) of ASH charge nurses and staff technicians. With this mind, I will share some the most specific examples of Patel's rejection of meeting his obligations with respect for these issues, and his associated negligence, as follows:

1) "What do you expect? This is the state hospital." 

This he stated in response to my first reports about staff misconduct, circa late February, 2011, on a 1:1 basis. Implying that "the state hospital" is expected to be operated in non-compliance with established medical practice, care, and reasonably safe conditions. I immediately took notice, too (10 days into my 13 months at ASH), of what I could only describe at the time as a clearly questionable representation of how any hospital is to be managed.

2) "Do you really believe that you can change the system?" 

This with respect for my telling him that I intended to bring these issues to light, again, circa February-March, 2011, on a 1:1 basis. It took a few days for this statement to sink in, at which point I began to suspect that the simple fact that Patel comes from India, where democratic values are not the norm, is what underlies this doctor's inability to grasp the idea that a citizen of USA most definitely has the right and means to play a role in "the system"; a suspicion that rang true once again when I had to deal with Dr. Pervaiz Akhter (see photo above), who hales from Pakistan, and whose behavioral characteristics in this sense were even worse then Patel's.

3) "Stop nitpicking! You write down everything I say, and then argue about it later!" 

This in my third Inpatient Treatment and Discharge Planning meeting, late March, 2011, in front of no less then 6 other persons attending the meeting on that day. A flagrantly over exaggerated claim in itself ("everything I say..."), based on the plain fact that I was willing to take note of issues that I recognized as unjust, and deserving of attention. Had this longtime ASH physician appeared to me as willing to meet his obligations when I initially turned to him with staff misconduct in mind, I would not have been compelled to document his subsequent behavior, as in, to write such exhibitions of his ridiculously questionable  behavior down.  It was at this point in time that Patel formally demanded that I seek the care of another ASH psychiatrist, which he later denied having said (stated as noted above in front of no less then six other ASH staff), this after he realized that he was not allowed to demand that, in fact (that's what he later told me, at least). Nincompoop personified, as I saw it then, unable to handle pressure- as exhibited by his lack of temper ("Stop nitpicking!")-  that he had taken for granted would never arise while working in Arizona's sole long term public mental health care facility.

4) "Mr. P-----  reports that his sister let him fondle her when he was six years old." 

This, as documented in his formal report (as written, and which I do have a copy of) specific to our very first 1:1 meeting, wherein I shared with him the fact that I was criminally, sexually abused as a child. As I have made clear in earlier articles, Patel's grossly inaccurate interpretation of my history in this context represents abject incompetence, for to him characterize me as a perpetrator versus a victim (I was freaking six years old!) defies the process of treatment that I was obviously in need of. And with respect for sexual abuse of any kind, I again attribute Patel's origin as not just an Indian man, but one of disproportionate privilege (as per India's deeply unjust caste system), as a root cause of his greatly questionable practices as a licensed physician.

I have said this before, too:

I could not make this shit up if I had to.

The ADHS Patient Manual instructs each ASH patient-consumer to go to his/her primary attending psychiatrist anytime concerns about the flow of care etc. arise in any said patient's experience(s). Which is to say, the ASH psychiatrists have more responsibility then any other staff when it comes to ensuring that the patient-consumer there are provided with optimum care. In my very real experience, however, I learned the hard way that none of the psychiatrists at ASH are able and willing in terms of their given attitude(s) to meet this most fundamental area of responsibility. This obviously includes Dr. Steven Dingle (the current Chief Medical Officer at ASH, as he was when I was an ASH patient-consumer, Jan. 2011 through Feb. 2012), for it is 100% Dingle's responsibility to ensure that all ASH physicians comply with established medical practice. I could not be more serious about any one thing I have ever experienced, at any point of my life as it stands today. And yet, to date, we have only seen one ASH nurse supervisor fired (this with respect for actual medical practitioners at ASH), while the persons that nurse worked under (ASH doctors) are still today practicing medicine as though nothing at all ever happened. I find this barebones fact utterly consistent with the patterns of abject negligence that I identified as an ASH patient.


It was and is still that bad. 


I course have a range of other like evidence about not only Laxman Patel's obvious lack of ethos, but also that of each and every other abusive/incompetent staff member I directly interacted with during my thirteen long months at ASH, including the three other primary attending psychiatrists I had to deal with during that time Pervaiz Akhter, Lynn Lydon, Sylvia Dy. For indeed, as Patel himself put somewhat accurately put it (shortly before panicking and demanding that I seek another doctor), I did within weeks of admission to ASH dedicate myself to documenting any element of unwarranted staff misconduct that I witnessed or personally experienced in my own right. And once I did commit myself as such, it was literally only a matter of sitting back  and waiting on a daily basis for yet one more example of staff misconduct to occur. And on a daily basis, I did witness and/or experience gravely harmful treatment imparted byASH staff in every level of employ. This is precisely why I refer to the occurrence of patient abuse at ASH as rampant. Ergo, I again call on the current administrators at ASH- most namely today's acting CEO, Dr. Aaron Bowen, and his supervisor, the Director of ADHS, Dr. Cara Christ to meet their own given responsibilities, as they stand. Until all/any persons directly involved with what some are calling the ugliest public mental health facility scandal in the new millennium are taken to account, there is no chance that ASH will be brought up to speed with established medical standards across the board. This is a plain fact, and I refuse to relent in my reporting of these matters until I am convinced that state officials required to comply with law and policy as applicable to the public trust do their jobs. Bottom line. 

Get with it, people. While you still can.

IN CLOSING: I am compelled to make clear (yet again) that I do not have any general prejudice against persons of other nations or cultures; 
for I in my own right am comprised of multi-cultural heritage. In looking at the origins of these identified ASH doctors,  I was merely able to come up with some degree of understanding specific to their freaky nature(s). But this is in no way saying that all Pakistanis, or all Indians, or all Filipinos (Dr. Roxas-Ramos, Dr. Dy) are as out of whack with civilized/humane behavior as these Rat Bastards. Just as not all Americans share the some lack of ethics that Cory Nelson or Donna Noriega posses. It is only... always... a select few... Society's miscreants who exist in all corners of our world today.

They gotta' go.

paoloreed@gmail.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.