Friday, October 25, 2013

ONE MORE UPDATE II, RE: LAXMAN PATEL, M.D. This man was my first attending psychiatric doctor at The Arizona State Hospital. LAXMAN PATEL, and has since been promoted to the very powerful position of Chief Medical Officer at the Arizona State Hospital. Business as usual… At ASH, at least. 

Not to beat a dead horse, but the fact is, each and every mental health professional (or not!) who has heard or in fact seen the factual data that I possess specific to Laxman Patel's flagrant mischaracterization of my personal history has expressed nothing short of shock and dismay. And as well, those such individuals who are aware of the legitimacy of my statements about the substandard conditions and care practices at places like The Arizona State Hospital (state hospitals in general) have expressed sincere appreciation in terms of the significance of my work today. I have no reason to falsely claim these details of my work as it has evolved, which is to say as well, that any person of reasonable conscience who has experience with public mental health care in America today recognizes the fact that state mental hospitals are snake pits of abuse and related incompetence. Today, as it has always been, in effect. 

"The patient reports that his sister let him fondle her when he 6 years old…" 

I will again emphasize the critically harmful impacts of the above mischaracterization. This "doctor's" claim that the event itself was caused by my own behavior (as in, "Let him fondle her…shifts the fundamental essence of my mental state away from the its causation(s); and in terms of the sexual abuse itself, puts the blame on me, in effect. As though I, while a young boy, had the intention to engage in incestuous behavior. The fact of the matter is, I experienced incestuous sexual abuse when I was 6 year old underlies the deepest damages (harm to me), abuse which  is known to have contributed to my struggles with chronic major depressive disorder, including acute and ongoing suicidal ideation that began when I was thirteen years old. Over the last 18 or so months, as I have researched contemporary literature and related information specific to my diagnosis and disablement in this context, it has become starkly clear to me how grossly maladroit  Patel's misconduct in this matter is, in fact. The presence of child abuse and other like family dysfunction is common to many recognized mental disorders today, and there is simply no excuse for any licensed psychiatric doctor- much less so the current Chief Medical Officer at ASH- to have so deeply mischaracterized this critical detail of my own personal history as it exists in fact, much more so to have altered the fact that I was the victim of sexually abuse, to such an extent that I- the victim- was identified in this record as the perpetrator.

Enter yet again the labyrinth of ineptitude specific to  "Dr." Laxman Patel:

Formal Education Bj Medical College, Gujarat Univ, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India Training Maricopa Medical Center, Psychiatry (Phoenix); University Of Nevada College Of Medicine, Psychiatry.





One more detail that I know today has direct relevance to this man's incompetence is as follows: Approximately 14 weeks into my overall time at ASH, Laxman Patel   formally pursued my (an) immediate discharge. At that point in time, I had been working as well with an ASH therapist named Kevin Jessup. Kevin is a good man, one of the few at the clinical level there at ASH, and my opinion, a very qualified and well intentioned mental heath professional. When he learned of Patel's wish to have me discharged from at ASH at that point in time, he stated in no uncertain terms, "This makes no sense.You're depression is raging, and from I know, you are experiencing very obvious, ongoing suicidal ideation…." With this specific detail in mind, as well as the graphically inept mischaracterization of my personal history that Patel entered to the data included in my Arizona State Hospital Psychiatric Asessment, the evidence is clear that ASH's current Chief Medical Officer is capable of threatening any given ASH patients very life. For if his opinion that I was  due immediate discharge from ASH in late April, 2011, had been heeded, there is a very real likelihood that I would have followed through on my then ongoing suicidal ideation. The implications, as such, are broad, and on this basis, I contend that this so called "doctor" needs to be removed from his position as a state employed mental health care professional currently overseeing the care needs of over 250 seriously mentally ill and disabled Arizona citizens.


Laxman Patel is not unique in terms of the substandard practices of each and every psychiatric doctor I interacted with at ASH. But he is the presiding ASH Chief Medical Officer at this time. He was promoted to the position of CMO in early 2013, after more than three or more decades as a primary attending doctor at ASH; ergo, Patel has in fact been implicated in numerous exposures that relate to the ongoing substandard conditions and practices at ASH. Not directly implicated, per se', but there is also no denying the fact that he was practicing as a primary psychiatric care physician at ASH when such prior interventions occurred, always on behalf of the care needs and related human rights of ASH patients. In the late 1990s, e.g., there was a very serious need for intervention when evidence arose in terms of very illegal restraint and isolation practices at ASH, intervention implemented by the federal government, and through it all, Patel was right there in the thick of it all. The most sickening aspect of this history has to do with the fact that such staff were not morally capable or in any way willing to take action in their own right, this in spite of the shit going on right there in front of them at such periods of time; and the related fact that, when direct intervention occurs, these sorts of state employees are provided protection by the Arizona Office of Attorney General.

There is more to it, of course. Corruption and/or graphic shortfalls are common when it comes to the management practices in any state's public health care system; but in terms of any state's  most at-risk and/or vulnerable citizens, be it children, the elderly, or the seriously mentally ill, this reality takes on heightened significance. For herein there is far more opportunity for hazard posed by the presence of persons willing to neglect, exploit, abuse, of otherwise take unethical advantage of societies most vulnerable population(s). This ugly reality is recognized as an undeniable feature in our shared American history, and is readily illustrated in any range of legitimate literature, public interest information bases, and so on. I attest to the fact that at ASH, such issues are common. Substandard medical-mental health care as a matter of standard practice. 

And they are getting away with it.  

IN CLOSING: I intend to continue thrusting my full energy upon the simple fact that, at The Arizona State Hospital, highly paid and publicly entrusted behavioral health care employees engage in condoning and thus furthering the presence of graphically substandard medical-mental health care at ASH as a matter of standard practice. Laxman Patel is not the only person deserving immediate oversight, as expressed above, for he is today the most highly authorized psychiatric physician at ASH. I will continue shedding light on the issues that I know need redress at ASH, until such a time I have determined that the individuals centrally involved in harming ASH patients over some number of decades are brought to justice. It is beyond personal at this point. The fact is, these matters affect a broad range of people, AZ taxpayers for example, who have reasonable expectations in terms of the the public trust, wherein persons like Will Humble, Cory Nelson, and Joel Rudd are entrusted to abide by any established edicts of law and policy. These matters, as they stand, can be resolved by very practical modes of direct oversight, wherein the one's most responsible for perpetuating the wrongdoing at ASH are held to account. There are federal agencies obligated to address the evidence today, as it stands, and they know it. All things in good time. But only through such processes can meaningful reform occur; reform specific to AZ behavioral health care law and policy, as per the letter of law (inc. but not limited the AZ Administrative Code Title 9 Chapter 21, the Americans With Disabilities Act, etc.), which I know can bring about improving the flow of care that each and every Arizona citizen who turns to ASH deserves. This deserved basis of care extends beyond the patients, to the families of patients, and the public in general. Any one of us might need such services. Bottom line.  

paoloreed@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love input of any kind from anybody with any interest whatsoever in the issues that I am sharing in this blog. I mean it, anybody, for I will be the first one to admit that I may be inaccurately depicting certain aspects of the conditions
at ASH, and anonymous comments are fine. In any case, I am more than willing to value anybody's feelings about my writing, and I assure you that I will not intentionally exploit or otherwise abuse your right to express yourself as you deem fit. This topic is far, far too important for anything less. Thank you, whoever you are. Peace and Frogs.